Saturday, December 1, 2012

Thor: God of Thunder #1

 Thor God of Thunder (2012) 1A
Thor: God of Thunder #1 was one of, if not the best issue of Thor that I have read since Walt Simonson ended his run.

Jason Aaron is a very hit or miss writer for me. The stuff I've read of his I have either thought was great or a huge misstep. This issue fortunately falls into the first category.

Aaron begins his run telling a tale that spans Thor's life, from when he was a "young" warrior god during the times of the vikings, to the present, and into a future where Thor is the last Asgardian alive. The God Butcher, the villain for the opening arc is not introduced in this issue, but the scope of danger he represents comes off extremely well. Past Thor finds pieces of a dead god washing ashore. Present Thor is summoned to a planet that no longer has any gods, and after saving the people of this planet, attempts to find the deities who abandoned their people. What he finds deeply disturbs him. And future Thor readies to fight an army of shadow creatures. The narrative of the different timelines is a lot of fun.

Esad Ribic is very familiar as a cover artist, but I have not seen him do a lot of interiors. That being said, though I love his covers, I wasn't to sure how well his pencils would hold up on interiors. All of my concerns have been laid to rest. It was a very beautifully done issue. And with Dean White on colors, I couldn't imagine it looking any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment