Saturday, December 1, 2012

All New X-Men #1

All New X-Men (2012) 1A

This issue actually surprised me. After having Bendis on the Avengers for so long, I wasn't to thrilled with him being the writer for the flagship X-Men book. I'm not a Bendis hater, but I thought he was only ever a "good" writer. Nothing from his time with Avengers filled me with confidence that he would handle the X-Men well.

To say I was pleasantly shocked at how great this issue was is an understatement. I tried not to spoil this issue by reading too much about it ahead of its release but it was everywhere. The premise of Beast travelling to the past to bring the original X-Men to the present sounded interesting, but I didn't think it would make for anything more than a throwaway story. Especially given that Bendis has a reputation for ignoring continuity. The current Cyclops trying to recruit for his mutant revolution was a lot of fun too. It's been to long since the Marvel Universe has introduced some new mutant blood into the X-Men and I am eager to find out more about these characters.

Staurt Immonen handles the art for this issue and I honestly think its the best of his career. As with Bendis, Immonen art has always been good but he was never an artist that I was wowed by. This issue is beginning to change that for me as well.

 One issue in and I can't wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment